Today, the United States House of Representatives passed the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022 (IRA), moving us one step closer to the largest climate legislation in history being signed into law.
YECA is thrilled that this momentous piece of legislation is finally ready to cross the finish line. We would like to thank the Members of Congress who worked diligently over the past year to pass this critical plan to reduce emissions and make progress toward environmental justice. We are also grateful for the many young Christians who have long advocated for bold, transformative climate policy in a variety of ways including phone calls, emails, an open letter to Congress, LTEs, and a rally on Capitol Hill. Your voices, time, and actions have truly made a difference.
With the IRA, our elected officials have finally taken significant action to begin addressing climate change. These investments will put the U.S. on a path to significantly reduce carbon emissions. Additionally, this legislation includes:
- Historic investments for clean energy jobs and community climate resilience
- Incentivizing innovation to help cut carbon emissions
- Limiting wasteful leaks of climate-warming methane and associated toxic air pollutants
- Lowering energy bills for families with affordable clean energy and home energy efficiency
- Directing $60 billion of investments to frontline communities
- Tax credits to make electric vehicles more affordable
The Inflation Reduction Act is certainly not enough, and it is missing many critical protections and investments that were included in previous proposals. The bill also falls short in advancing environmental justice in communities most impacted by pollution. The IRA is progress, but there is much more to be done. Tomorrow holds more work, but today we celebrate this historic moment alongside countless advocates who have worked tirelessly for the sake of our common home. We look forward to continuing the work of faith-rooted climate action and invite you to join us.